I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

49. Her Majesty - The Decemberists

I was tempted to give all five Decemberists albums one spot in the countdown, but instead, I ranked 3 of the 5. They deserve being mentioned 3 times. That's a compliment right? The ones I didn't include are the rock opera, because a) there aren't any hits and b) the Decemberists aren't freegin Pink Floyd where you sit down and say, "Oh my god, the new Decemberists album is out! Let's smoke a bowl (circa 1996), sit down, shut up and listen!" Ultimately, that's my greatest critique against them. They're just not that good. If the Decemberists were a movie, they'd beHe's Just Not That into You. They're so close and have so many wonderful songs, and I will include them, not once, not twice, but THRICE! on this list. The other album I'm not including, I'm not including just to build suspense.

Her Majesty is included because it's the first album I ever got by them. Without this one, I wouldn't have "purchased" the ones that came after it. I actually have this CD, which is crazy. I'm not sure how many of these albums on my countdown I'll actually have on CD, but this is one, and it warrants mentioning.

Songs I love:

"Shanty for the Aruthustra"

Sure, I may not have spelled it correctly, but hearing pirate music in Tampa is a wonderful thing. The opener ... "whales" ... yuk yuk yuk yuk.

"Los Angeles, I'm Yours"

A lyric like "the smell of burnt cocaine" followed up with a little later, "it's oceans gargle vomit on the shores" and "you left me wretched, wretching, vomiting on all fours ... Los Angeles, I'm yours" are just way too good. I don't know if I'll end up doing a list of my favorite songs of the nikniknik AUGHTS , but if I do, this one will certainly be included.

"Can't Remember the Name"

The New York song is really good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment