I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

48. Sharpen Your Teeth - Ugly Casanova

I didn't include every single Modest Mouse album that came out this Millenium. That means, one will be missing. One LP that is. Even though, Everywhere and His Nasty Parlor Tricks AND! No One's First and Your Next! are probably both better than this Casanova venture and their most recent album, they weren't included ... and yes, it's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank that wasn't included. Let me spell that out for ya. It's got some great songs, but seriously, are they really doing anything new on that one? Nope.

Sharpen Your Teeth somehow remains a classic for me. First off, it came out in 2002, which along with 2005 and 2007 were probably the 3 best years of music for the nikniknik aughts. And those who don't believe in the aughts relish this thought ... aughts passes my blogs spelling check, where nikniknik obviously doesn't. If there were ever more proof of the aughts, that would be it.

Songs I love on this one are almost all of them. Sure, there are a couple gimmicks here, but "Hotcha Girls" is an A+, as is "Things I Don't Remember." Many of the other songs stay at that "A" level, though they mix in those damn "commercial" songs on here. I don't mean "pop" commercial, I mean those damn dirty aped songs that last about 1 minute 30 seconds and basically just waste everyone's time. The only genre of music that's really ever pulled these off semi-successfully is old-school rap. Unless you're certain your album is going to be a classic, I'd refrain from these.

What a waste of time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment