I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Discussing Gone With the Wind Without Talking Racism ... Impossible

Before I begin as a semi-enlightened person to bash a movie that uses the term “darky” more often than the word “the”, this movie perpetuates the stereotypes of southerners too, as in, Ashley Wilkes not only marrying his cousin, but claiming, “She’s part of my blood and we understand each other.” So let's give it a little break because it follows the old jury duty adage "the trick is to say you're prejudice against all races."


You know what though, Barack Obama was sworn in as President today, so I'm a little over racial stuff, not to mention MLK day being yesterday. So here we go.

I can't imagine one single character, throughout all of American folklore, that would have a more obnoxious Sweet 16 Birthday party than Scarlet O'Hara. Let's take Scarlet out of the Civil War era, and put her in the War on Terror era.

Things I'd Expect at Scarlet O'Hara's Sweet 16

She'd probably get a Porsche, and cry because it wasn't a Ferrari.
She'd probably tease every single guy at the party, maybe even flashing her tatters at one point, and then reject every single one of the guys advances.
At one point she'd throw a fit, until her dad sighed, and gave the, "don't look at me pal, I have to live with her" look.
She definitely wouldn't let in any Mexicans. I'm thinkin' Georgia 2008, it's still probably going to be a party filled with Crackas and Honky's.
There's no way Prissy would be invited.
And naturally, towards the end of it, Yankees would come in and destroy the whole thing and claim it as their own.

Yankee pride, not yankee prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment