I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Best Villains ... Trois Pistoles


30.  Viet Cong Guard in The Deer Hunter

The Russian Roulette scene when DeNiro and Walken overcome all the Viet Cong in that swamp is one of the best scenes I’ve ever seen in a movie.  It’s a couch jumper. 

29.  Matt Damon as "Sgt. Sullivan" in The Departed

Was I crazy to be rooting for him in the movie?  Seeing it's Scorsese, I knew he'd die after everyone else did, but I was a little disappointed when it happened (and even more disappointed with that whole rat scene following the death). 

28.  Alan Rickman as "Hans Gruber" in Die Hard

Another great villain type character, especially during the Cold War, was the Eastern European terrorist.  Rickman did a perfect job.  There are moments in film when you know the bad guy is merely going to threaten the hostage, but not Hans.  He was a killer. 

27.  John Malkovich as "Teddy KGB" in Rounders

Though we never get to see the full arm of his power, his accent was enough.  He's very high on that "fun to imitate" list, but I've never been very good at doing it. 

26.  Jack Nicholson as "Col. Jessup" in A Few Good Men

This says it all:

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to."

25.  The Shark Who Played "Jaws" in Jaws

People didn't swim in New England oceans (or maybe just the Atlantic) for about 10 years after this movie.  It's too bad sharks don't make noise before they eat their victims.  Lions have a good roar.  T-Rex's have their distinct kill sound and Samuel L. Jackson has his bible passage, but what do sharks get? 

24.  Mark Rolston as "Boggs" in The Shawshank Redemption

The only character that’s worse in Shawshank Prison than the Warden was Boggs.  I'd rather not talk about him too much. 

23.  Alan Ford as "Brick Top" in Snatch

Many characters on my list are part of a crime syndicate in one way or another.  Here's some representation from across the pond.  I'm no theologian.  I don't know what happens to the soul when you die, but I do know that my body being fed to pigs couldn't help the soul's possible afterlife in any way. 

22.  "Sauron" in Lord of the Rings

Gotta say this in a nerdlinger Napoleon Dynamite like voice …

He's only the leader of all of life's cruelty and malice and will destroy Middle Earth if he gets the one ring to rule them all … GAWSH! 

21.  David Carradine as "Bill" in Kill Bill Vol. 2

He's more of a "cool" villain than a scary one.  My only thing with him is that his "tragic" death will affect how his character ages.  It will be hard not to look at him and think about him being erotically tortured and a possible accidental suicide that ensued.  

No comments:

Post a Comment