I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spielberg Makes Great Jewish Movies

For some reason, when I created my list of all the movies I would watch, I included Munich, but failed to include Schindler's List.  Obviously the latter is a much better film (and this was part oversight), but let's face it, Schindler's List, as great of a film as it is, is too tragic and ultimately ranks with about a ZERO on the "re-watchable" list.  There will never be a time, as there is with other dramatic tragedy films, where you can laugh because of cheesy acting or what not.  This is real life, and one of humanity's worst moments as the backdrop.  Why someone would want to expose themselves to this more than once is beyond me, and yes, I've seen it 2 or 3 times, and will probably watch it once more time in my lifetime. 

Munich, though quite tragic as well in its own right, is a lot more fun.  As a theme with many films of the Aughts, it's about revenge which is much easier to watch than a holocaust, but what isn't?  The first time I thought it was okay, now I've seen it 3 or 4 times and am just about ready for the 5th.  I didn't include it in my "Best Film Rivalries List: http://thedailydeuce.blogspot.com/2010/11/cold-fargo.html", but Jews vs. Arabs is quite possibly the Best Rivalry of All-Time on this planet.  It puts Yankees-Red Sox and Duke-North Carolina to shame.  This is the heart of the movie. 

I was tempted to do a Top Jewish Movies of All-Time thing here, but it's not possible.  For instance, can one consider The Big Lebowski a Jewish movie due to Walter Sobchak who married into the religion?  I'm having a hard time drawing a line in the sand with this one as to what would qualify and what would not, so I'm going to pass … for now.  If I had to make a list, the easy #1 would have to be A Serious Man.  That one is very re-watchable and perfectly done.  I haven't seen Fiddler on the Roof; The Chosen; or any Woodsy Allen movie.  The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur?  Please.  Is Biloxi Blues a Jewish movie?  See what I mean, this one I just have to let go.  Maybe one day, when Spielberg releases his summer epic: Jews vs. Aliens, I may revisit this idea and post a list.

No comments:

Post a Comment