I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Monday, November 23, 2009

Top Songs of the Aughts (45-41)

45. Rehab - Amy Winehouse

I love the Amy Winehouse phenomenon. With all the talentless skanks of the Aughts ... and well, now that I said that ... I should do the list ... well, no, I'm not going to waste my time.

Winehouse, who was backed by the Dap Kings on this one brought me back to that early 60s feel, which has become my new favorite thing to do on Sundays and that's listen to that old time stuff. It's passionate and innocent ... well Amy's not exactly innocent, but she's on my "I can't wait for her next album!" list. Let's just hope she makes it before she dies.

44. Aly Walk With Me - The Raveonettes

Perfect freaking song. Dark, driving, mysterious and intense. The noise crescendo is fantastic too. There's such a fine line when using noise in a song. If done correctly, you have a great song like this. If done improperly, it sounds like you have a 5 year old in the studio.

43. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens

I thought this album was going to cross-over into the mainstream, and more so, I thought this song would, especially after it's appearance in that Little Miss Sunshine movie. Never happened. Instead, I'm left with the remorse of waiting for my airport shuttle in Milwaukee the morning after a fun wedding, where I drank a little too much whiskey.

42. A-Punk - Vampire Weekend

I almost divorced them once I saw the green belts in the video. I've been over brightly colored belts before, so no need here. That one change is in this song is so incredible, it's good enough for #42. They have a new album coming out soon, and it will be interesting to see if they slump like CYHSY, or come back with a full heart and strike music down.

41. Us and Them - LCD Soundsystem

I had to pick on of their songs, and this is another Compound song. It's between this and "Yeah" from their other album. I love many of their songs. It's going to be interesting to see what they have in store for 2010 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment