I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Monday, October 5, 2009

Flying Over the Cuckoo's Nest

It must be tough understanding your crazy, having to explain it to possible employers, prospective dates, and god forbid the judge in charge of releasing your child back to you from foster care. On top of that, you need to seek treatment, possibly be medicated and you no longer control your own destiny. Every action you want to take on something is filtered through the advice of someone who is allegedly trying to help you or a substance which is basically numbing your mind so you at least appear sane.

Sure it's probably better to have a lower level of insanity so you can stay in free society rather than having that higher level that makes you become institutionalized, but if you can drive your car to work, fix dinner for yourself and carry on a meaningful conversation that may be nice, but upon the realization that you have incomplete thoughts that lead to irrational decisions, how tough is it?

My last piece I wrote was based on the premise of me creating a world where I interviewed a shark. To me, that seems a little mishugina, but I understood that, so I'm hoping that keeps me from the crazy train. My point being is how is crazy defined? As Americans, are we all supposed to try to act within a norm that makes people say, "Hey, that Zach, he's a nice normal American!" Obviously, as a good American, I feel it's my duty to be unique and yes, crazy enough to make life more enjoyable for others. Ultimately, maybe the difference is the understanding that a specific act may be a crazy act, but seeing you have control over it, you're not a crazy individual.

It's quite easy to point at someone very eccentric and say that person's crazy. Even a crazy person has their own idea what normal is. So is it like my alcoholic definition which is, "I'm not an alcoholic if it's not hurting anyone I love?" It's probably closer to this, but I just witnessed a situation where a judge signed off on giving a "bi-polar" mom her kid back. Right there I just made craziness a little more definitive. Bi-polar? Isn't this something we all are at times, depending on what situations we're presented with life? I've been fortunate enough in my travels that I've only had a few rough patches of adversity to get through. Like taking too much acid, is it one of those things where if you go through too many rough patches, you never come back? Any adversity I've ever gone through has shaped who I am now, and though I may be a bit crazier, I'm a much stronger person because of them. Sure I hate those rough patches at the time, but I'm freaking Andy Dufresne climbing out of Shawshank once they pass, and that's what makes life so worth living.

Does this mean a crazy person doesn't have the mental strength to feel the same? I'd disagree with that. What gets me through rough patches are time, family, friends, exercise and ok, a little bit of alcohol followed by an even greater amount of sobriety. I'm sure not all are as blessed as I am with such wonderful friends and family, but I'd say most people have some family or friends, everyone has time (well except people with super aids), almost everyone can drink and anyone can exercise and be sober, sort of.

If someone is "bi-polar" and they're going to counseling and being prescribed medication, isn't this taking away their right to sobriety, which even before things like life, liberty and happiness be our most guaranteed right? Damn, I almost feel like a Scientologist right now, but seriously, to me, it seems being medicated for "crazy" is not different than trying to have a child "catch up" with other students by putting them in a remedial class with kids who start fires. Even having an adviser, that is not family or friend freaks me out because that person is a paid professional following textbooks on advice, which if that's the case, you may as well just throw the Bible at someone, say "read" and all problems will be solved.

I'm uneasy with a sound minded "crazy" person having to go through this. I know some. I've communicated with them, and yes, they seem a little out there, but if they can be put in better situations with caring and understanding people, maybe taken out of their crazy lives, they're not going to need medication, which is just another thing reminding them their crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment