I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

37. Good News For People Who Love Bad News - Modest Mouse

Sure, this album isn't spectacular, but for some reason, I've gone through a few different phases with it, so it makes my list.

For me, there wasn't a more anticipated album of this decade and it was a little disappointing. However, because Tampa can be such a cultural wasteland, I got to see these guys at the Orpheum two nights in a row with 200 other people who were in a state of disbelief that a band this big, was playing in a place so small. A couple months later, Float On became a Kids Bop sensation and it would never be the same again (even though I still love it today).

I remember I heard this album at a St. Petersburg coffee shop, and thought to myself, holy shit, someone else is playing Modest Mouse? I was so excited, but St. Pete's always been a little hipper than Tampa.

Naturally, about 5 years after the fact, another friend of mine discovered how great this album was, so about 3 of the songs were stuffed down my throat again, and I realized how good they still were. The first three of course.

The Ocean Breathes Salty is probably one of my favorite songs of theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment