I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Poor Serpico

I was a little disappointed with my most recent viewing of Serpico. It's still a great movie, just not exactly action packed. Another problem I had with it is the movie is so, "woah is Pacino." Every precinct he goes to simply gets worse and worse. Here's a break down:

  • First, he goes to a restaurant and can't order what he wants. He's even willing to pay for it, but he's gotta take the freebie because that's what the other cops do. In return, the shop owner gets free parking on deliveries. The corruption begins.
  • Next up his lazy partner of a cop doesn't want to pursue a crime because "it's not their sector." I don't know how many times I've been running from the poh-poh and they've just stopped pursuing me because it wasn't their sector.
  • In another scene he can't take the "collar." I love that word, collar. You never really here it in cops and robbers movies anymore, in fact, aside from this one, I really don't remember hearing it elsewhere.
  • In yet another precinct, he's doing ballet dances and then goes into the locker room with the lights off with another man. Naturally, the sergeant accuses him of being gay. If I guy is doing ballet dances and in a dark locker room with another man, I think it's fair to think that that man is gay, but yet Serpico still gets offended. You got to laugh those things off.
  • Next precinct he has to cut his hair. Sure he talks his way out of it, but it's a sad day when you have to cut your hair.
  • Now, because of his long hair and revolutionary hippie-cop undercover look, other officers shoot at him while he's making a bust. That's the drawback Serpico! What's even better is after they shoot at him, they want the collar because otherwise there'd be too much paperwork, and nobody in any walk of life wants to deal with too much paperwork.
  • This wasn't a cop stereotype in movies yet, but he doesn't take the money, and the other cops don't like that. You can't trust someone who doesn't do things dishonestly.
  • After arresting some "connected" guy, who pulls thee ol' "Do you know who I am?" He gets frustrated when all the other cops in the precinct are laughing with the criminal and telling jokes. It will probably never happen, but one day, just one day, I want to pull thee ol' "Do you know who I am?"
  • A fellow cop pulls a knife on him. Nice.
  • They finally rid themselves of Serpico by letting him go into an apartment first and they don't give him back up, so he gets shot in the face. It's easy as 1, 2, 3.
Again, poor Serpico.

No comments:

Post a Comment