I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Monday, September 21, 2009

A New Confession

Every now and then one of these pieces stems from a beer driven conversation at the Griffy compound over the weekend. See, The Godfather Part II has always been in the running for, "Zach's favorite movie ever." It's usually between that and its prequel. The way I've always never had to choose is by lumping the two together and saying, THE GODFATHER is the best story ever, thus never having to decide between the two. Now, by taking one of my favorite scenes from the movie, I'm going to show you a dramatic shift in my reasoning about this that happened to me after watching both Part 2, and another sequel to another great movie. I'll be playing the part of Michael Corleone, and my buddy Troy will be playing the role of Hyman Roth

Zachary Corleone: I saw a strange thing today. I saw The Empire Strikes Back. It may not have the acting, or depth, but what it lacks in that, it makes up for with drama, really unique characters and let's face it, great action.

Hyman Cedeno: Those Jedi are lunatics.

Zachary Corleone: Maybe so, but it occurred to me. The Jedi have light sabers, the mafia doesn't.

Hyman Cedeno: What does that tell you?

Zachary Corleone: It means Empire could be better than The Godfather Part II.

Hyman Cedeno: You're stupid. (Pulls me aside from the rest of the people involved in the conversation and continues). I'd rather we talk about this while we're alone. I don't want word getting out that one of my friends is no longer backing The Godfather Part II because of his uneasiness with the lack of drama. That two million never got to the island ...

Ok, there's where I lose it and fortunately the scene ends, but there you go. I don't know what it is, maybe if it's just an issue of out-thinking myself or what, but on this last go around Empire Strikes Back was thoroughly more enjoyable than The Godfather Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment