I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I'm Not Irish, and Neither Are You

So what are you lookin at?

I wore green to work today and I'm trying to figure out why. I'm absolutely, positively ZERO percent Irish. I like drinking, and that's the most wondrous of stereotypes we have of Irish people, so everyone likes to pretend their Irish on St. Patty's Day. It's another day to go out drinking, except you wear green, listen to traditional Irish music and drink green beer. On New Year's you wear party hats, during sporting events you wear your teams colors, during Gasparilla you dress like a pirate, on halloween you dress whatever you feel like and ofcourse on Cinqo De Mayo you dress like a Mexican. And then you drink heavily.

So today, when I got home from work, I had an incredible evil urge to go out and get sauced. I have a friend going to Channelside, who isn't drinking there, and I wouldn't go to Channelside sober if I was on drugs (figure that out). I'm sure other friends are gathering at a Casa, but St. Patty's Day is about going out to an Irish bar, and doing the whole bit. Normally h-yah, I would blame the fact that my friends are old, and married, and babied, and yadda yadda yadda, but that's not really the case. I'm not even making an effort to drag anyone out. So maybe it's myself? Maybe I'm maturing because I don't like to drink on weeknights anymore? Maybe ...

Maybe I know I'm going to be really busy at work tomorrow and seeing all these freakin' Leprechauns walking around in green with huge smiles going to Irish bars are making me jealous because I know going out would be the dumbest decision imaginable right now. Fuckin A. In the words of Bill the Butcher, "Let's burn'em, and see if their ashes turn green."

No comments:

Post a Comment