I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Friday, December 28, 2007

Numbers 7 and then 6

As I approach going to bed in a warm Melbourne, FLA home, I've decided to knock out two more of my favorite albums of this past year. Sometimes, with these long, drawn out lists, I don't know why I do this to myself. This is painful. Hopefully, one of these upcoming mornings, I'll have a nice cup of coffee back in my apartment's breakfast nook and I'll knock out the TOP FIVE all in a row. After all, those who are around me every week, pretty much know the albums I've been getting geeky over all year, so it's not too much of a surprise. And let's say it was a surprise ... oooooo weeeeeee zach likes some band of douchebags that comes out of wyoming la di freaking da ... yeah. This will definitely be my last list that I don't do all at once.

Anyhoo, let's get on with this one. Let's see.

7. Iron and Wine - The Good Shepherd

Because I'm really tired, I want to make fun of this album in the same manner I just made of myself. Since I've been out of work, I've been emailing at strange times in different moods. The standard one or two cup of coffee buzz isn't dictating what I write anymore. Right now, the need of sleep is.

I saw Chuck Wilson's War today and it was very good, except, maybe I took it too personally. I thought the end was a little preachy, a little, like it was taking a stance that we shouldn't leave Iraq, and whether I think we should leave Iraq or not, I don't want an otherwise great movie (and this was a great movie, P.S. Hoffman rocks again) to tell me how I should feel about a certain issue. Maybe this movie was merely commenting about it's own subject matter, and not the current state of affairs in the Happy Gulf. Maybe it was because I was sitting next to my mom and know how she feels about the current state of affairs and my natural inclination to play Devil's Advocate took over, and by that I mean, mimicking Keanu Reeves performance in that film ... woah, I must be tired, that makes no sense whatsoever. Point being, Chucky's War = great movie. Probably don't need to see it twice though, but years from now, when it's on cable, you'll always stop to watch.

6. Liars - Liars

I finally like an album from this band. Frankly, I didn't care two courics if Drum was dead, or Drum was not dead. The album before that, well, I don't remember at all. This one, although difficult in some parts, is grand. Some songs kick major ass in ways I've never heard songs kick ass before. The only downside is, every time I hear their name, I always think of that silly Henry Rollins song that goes

CUZ I'M A LIAR!

Henry Rollins is a douche. There, I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment