I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Monday, February 21, 2011

South Park's Best Characters

It's kind of crazy, but for all the South Park references that most likely appear on my blog, I don't think I've ever directly written about it.  Now that it's time for me to review the movie, it makes it easy for me to point out things I like and don't like about it.   

I'm not a fan of musicals.  I cannot stand them.  Let me quickly review all the musicals I've seen in my life:

Wizard of Oz
Singin' in the Rain
Moulin Rouge
Monty Python & The Holy Grail?
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?
South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut?

As you can see, after 3, I'm already reaching, but "Musicals" are the reason I won't even travel to Chicago (bah dum tsh). 

South Park is different though because a) it's a cartoon comedy and b) the movie is simply about saying bad words they couldn't say on the television show combined with a plot about war between the States and Canada.  Not much more happens in this movie except Canadian jokes and use of the phrase "Uncle Fucker" a million times (which is quite catchy). 

Rather than go into further detail about a silly movie, I'll do what I do best I guess and do … The Top 15 Characters of South Park!!!  This one is a long time coming (unless I've already done it and forgot).  

15.  The City Wok Owner

The humor of saying "shitty" instead of "city" does get old after awhile (though it's hysterical the first time you hear it), however, words like Mongorian always keep this guy funny when he makes a rare appearance. 

14.  Clyde

He doesn't do too much, usually just a word here and there, but the fact that he's scared of Ginger Kids is pretty hysterical because he represents a voice many of us have, but are too scared to talk about at parties. 

13.  Tweek

When he was subbing for Kenny as the 4th friend, he did a pretty good job.  A child drinking coffee is fun for awhile, but it does get old so they did the right thing by giving him bit parts again, and now he's barely on at all. 

12.  Mr. Garrison

South Park is famous for its over-the-line raunchiness, and I can even handle the one where Christopher Reeve is eating abortions for their stem cells, but thee one single episode that I cannot watch the entire one is Mr. Garrison's sex change.  The operation footage is too disgusting. 

11.  Timmy

He's great but you can't do too much with him.  His Thanksgiving episode was one of the best ever with the relationship between him and the retarded turkey, but that can't be topped.  Speaking of retardations, we just bottled our "Retard Strong" Belgian Strong Ale last night.  It should be ready for consumption in a few weeks. 

10.  Craig

Craig is an up-and-comer.  The writers gave him life with the giant Guinea Pigs episode ("I was so happy") and since then, he's getting a little more dialogue thrown his way.  He's great whenever he gets to speak now. 

9.  Mr. Mackey

He was great back in South Park's early days and probably has reached his peak, but he still gets some good parts every now and then. 

8.  Jimmy

I don't care whether it's right or wrong how Matt and Trey use people with disabilities for laughs.  They do an excellent job of making them human and after the initial "retarded gags", you start seeing them as people, not people with disabilities which is not easy to do in a non-dramatic way. 

7.  Jesus

I love they're portrayal of Jesus.  Jesus is a lot like Phish and Radiohead in that he wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for all the over-crazed fans. 

6.  Towelie

He's one of the most fun characters to impersonate.  Though he's not all that funny when he's on, its fun enough having him be on. 

5.  Mr. Hanky

Sure he may be a one trick pony, but when Hanky is on, you know there's going to be some good poo related humor, and well, I love poo humor.  I do. 

4.  Terence and Phillip

Like "The Simpsons" has their Itchy and Scratchy, South Park has their Terence and Phillip whom are never really funny, but oh so lovable.  The whole gag they do with Canadians in general is pretty hysterical. 

3.  Randy Marsh

None of the parents are funny except Randy.  Randy's one of the characters that seems to get better every year. 

2.  Butters

Matt and Trey must have been so happy when they unlocked the potential of Butters.  He's easily the most lovable character on the show, and yet you always want him to be in the center of an uncomfortable situation. 

1. Cartman

What's not to love about this manipulative egotistical little fat man?  Anyone who hates "Family Guy" can sit at my dinner table any time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment