I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Monday, July 12, 2010

Best Rock Songs of the 60s

The 60s really make me realize the difference between "Rock" and "Rock'n Roll". You bring up any list of the best Rock Songs of the 60s, and you'll soon be disappointed that it's merely a list of rock'n roll songs, and you'll see Aretha Franklin and the Beach Boys on there. The Beach Boys don't rock, nor does Motown Philly doing a little east coast fling (not swing or thang, as I've previously thought).

Anyways, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix may have deserved more songs on this, but it's obviously much more fun to do these things when you can talk about various bands. After all, this is the 60s MAN!

30. Taxman – The Beatles

Only two Beatles songs on my list. It's kind of strange that this is probably their second hardest rock song. The Beatles 5 hardest rock songs you ask?

5. The End
4. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
3. Hey Bulldog
2. Taxman
1. Song to Be Named Later in the list.

The Beatles are another good example of rock'n roll, but not necessarily rock.

29. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida – Iron Butterfly

I don't know why I feel I have to include this one, but it's either a) one of those menacing rock riffs is present or b) there's a long winded drum solo. Both say rock.

28. Louie Louie – The Kingsmen

This was a tough one for me to include, but I felt it necessary. It's got a beautiful power chord change that's been copies a million times over. This is also the most ordinary incarnation of rock ever. That's gotta be worth something. If it's good enough for Animal House it's good enough for me.

27. St. Stephen – Grateful Dead

Yes, I felt obligated to include a Grateful Dead song. So why not this one. What was I going to do, include some 20 minute "The Other One" opus?

26. Communication Breakdown – Led Zeppelin

One of Zep's weaker songs, but the way Page wails the guitar intro to this, gave birth to a much heavier sound of music.

25. Fortunate Son – CCR

Angst against America!!!! God damn long hairs never learn.

24. Jumping Jack Flash – The Rolling Stones

Before Page and Jimi, there was Keith Richards, though nobody really cares.

23. Born to Be Wild – Steppenwolf

This was another tough one. On one hand, you have arguably the most popular rock song ever, with perfect rock power riffs, on the other hand, I start thinking of cheesy middle aged men wearing sun glasses and riding motorcycles when I hear it, which is so unrock.

22. Monkey Man – The Rolling Stones

I'm a fleabit fiend and monkey, all my friends are junkies that's not, really true.

Love me some dirty Stones.

21. Pinball Wizard – The Who

This was one of the first songs I ever wanted to learn on guitar due to Townsend's chord strummin ferocity. Too bad it's about some retard playing pinball.

20. Suzi Q – CCR

Gotta have my Creedence man.

19. Fire – Jimi Hendrix

This entire list probably should've been 15 Jimi songs, and 15 Zep songs.

18. Whole Lotta Love – Led Zeppelin

Even though 90% of Zep songs were either stolen blues songs or about Lord of the Rings, one thing was as pure as Christmas snow, and that was the sounds of Jimmy Page.

17. Helter Skelter – Beatles

The afterbirth of heavy metal.

16. Gimme Some Lovin – Spencer Davis Group

Great tune. Kind of remorseful about my "afterbirth of heavy metal" crack. If Charlie Manson didn't ruin it enough for me already, I may have just put the last nail in the coffin of me being able to listen to that one. Oh, and Motley Crue covering it didn't help either.

15. Crosstown Traffic – Jimi Hendrix

90 miles an hour girl, is the speed I drive.

14. Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane

You can't tell it by listening to them, but Jefferson Airplane could get ferocious.

13. Good Times, Bad Times – Led Zeppelin

Jimmy Page really turned the power chord into a generation of kids wanting to play electric guitar.

12. Crossroads - Cream

Another blues cover, this time by Eric Clapton, who should've unleashed more. Dick.

11. My Generation – The Who

Another one of those songs that you can tell was going to make rock'n roll harder, and if this didn't work, smashing amplifiers and drum kits was sure to do the trick.

10. You Really Got Me – The Kinks

I once heard a story, that the Kinks would sabotage other acts during their shows by doing things like cutting their cables, or whatever they could to ensure the Kinks sounded better. I have no idea if this is true, and sure I could do some research right now to spread knowledge rather than rumors, but I won't. I've never liked the Kinks because of this, and I don't want to start now.

9. Gimme Shelter – The Rolling Stones

This song was so powerful it nearly killed the 60s.

8. I Wanna Be Your Dog - Iggy Pop

I always talk about the birth of metal or hard rock, but what about the birth of punk, a genre I don't really care about, but deserves a little respect. It never would've been without this one.

7. Purple Haze – Jimi Hendrix

I can't imagine what it would've been like to hear this song for the first time, compared to everything else that was out at the time.

6. Whipping Post – The Allman Bros.

Sometimes I feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!!!!!!!
SOMETIMES I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!!!!
LIKE I'M TIED!!!!!
TO THE WHIPPING POST!
TIED!!!!
TO THE WHIPPING POST!
Good lord I feel like I'm dying.

5. Break on Through - The Doors

The birth of music becoming dark and mysterious.

4. Voodoo Child – Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix's hard rock masterpiece.

3. Sunshine of Your Love – Cream

Eric Clapton's perfect riffage masterpiece.

2. Satisfaction – The Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones perfect power riff party masterpiece.

1. Dazed and Confused – Led Zeppelin

Possibly still the greatest rock song ever, some 40 years later. Will it win the Summer of 2010 Daily Deuce Rock Tournament? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment