I swear i'll be writing more in 2014

Monday, November 16, 2009

7. Embryonic - The Flaming Lips

2009 REPRESENTIN!

It's always dangerous to rank a recent album really high, when you're fresh off it's awesomeness, and really not knowing how it will ultimately stand a few years from now in your playlists. It's not really that dangerous though because really, this is some stupid list, but some knobblegopper, so I've gotta do it.

One thing I can say about the Flaming Lips, that I can't say about any other band is this. Their debut album was released in 1986, and here they are, 23 years later, making a classic album, either the 2nd or 3rd best of their entire career. Can you say this about any other band? 23 years later? 20 years later? The Beatles peaked maybe 8 or 9 years later; Radiohead peaked at about 5 years later; Pink Floyd made a classic album (The Wall) about 12 years after their debut album ... I seriously am not even close to thinking about a band (and for the love of gawd, please don't say The Boss or Bob Dylan).

If you can think of anyone that either matches or comes close to matching this feat, I'm DYING to know. Yes, that was sarcasm, but I am serious.

Also, I'm not going to do a Top 10 Albums of 2009 this year, but here are some notable albums that I gave a few listens to apiece this year:

  • Built to Spill's new one was very good
  • Thanks for the Skiddies for turning me on to Vetiver
  • Frand Ferdinand and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs I thought both did extremely well in a gay 80's style way
  • Modest Mouse released a fantastic EP
  • The new Yo La Tengo was pretty good
  • The Rural Alberta Advantage was a pleasant surprise and a nice find
  • I'm supposed to say I like the new Dead Weather, but I'd be lying if I said I listened to it more than 3 times, or have the desire to ever listen to it again
  • Wilco and M. Ward were ok I guess, nothing to blog about
  • Peaches grew up a bit, which made her effort either better or worse
  • The Decemberists bombed worse than Gaines Adams (that's for my fellow Bucs fans)
  • Phish actually had 1 good song on their album (Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan)

No comments:

Post a Comment